Peter Mac's..A view from the Inside ( Off Topic)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Peter Mac's..A view from the Inside ( Off Topic)

Post  Sharkbait on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 pm

G'day guys,
Just wanted to say that if anyone is going to the Laanecoorie Bash this year,please dig deep and donate to Peter Mac,coz in a roundabout way,you'll be helping suckers like me Razz

Long story short..about a month ago I found a suss looking spot on my face that wasn't going away..went to my GP,who took a biopsy..a week later he rang me and said "i'm sending you to Peter Mac..NOW!!
Well it turns out I have a Merkel Cell Carcinoma in my right cheek (a rare,aggressive form of skin cancer) and after numerous scans and blood tests,luckily for me it hasn't spread into my lymph nodes which is a HUGE relief. It is still skin cancer though,and i'm now 4 sessions into a 27 session course of radiation therapy,which is going everyday for the next month to be zapped by laser,till hopefully they've killed the little imposter Rolling Eyes Then it'll be constant checks for the next few years to make sure I stay cancer-free Embarassed

I just wanna say,if anyone is in the unfortunate situation to see the inner workings of Peter Mac's,i can assure you you'll be surrounded by the most professional,loving,caring people anywhere..i can't speak highly enough of the magnificent staff..from the Oncologist,all the way down to the volunteers there,they've all been brilliant! cheers

Anyway guys,this post is not an attempt at seeking sympathy,just a message to fellow members to be on alert..If you have any suspect looking spots that you might be thinking.."hmmm,haven't seen that before"
GET 'EM CHECKED NOW!! Q12

All i know is,Peter Mac can expect a donation from me this year,even if I can't make it to the Laanecoorie Bash Very Happy

Cheers...Dave
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Mac's..A view from the Inside ( Off Topic)

Post  slimpickens on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Good on you Dave, hope your well on the way to killing this beast. Get well soon Now! Harry.

Management

Number of posts : 3575
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  GPZhunter on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:49 pm

Get Well Soon, Sharkbait!

Just goes to show good idea to go to the Docs, for any health concern.
Also as detecting / Prospecting is an outdoor activity we can all learn from you to look after ourselves when in the sun enjoying the Australian Bush.

You are right it what you say about the staff there and the importance of places like Peter Mac.

Dig deep with your donations fellow prospectors. Very Happy sunny

GPZhunter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2015-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  determined1 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:27 pm

Wish you well with the treatment Dave.

My only experience with Peter Mac's has been as a visitor, but I certainly echo your thoughts re the staff, facility and all the people associated with the place.

What gets up my nose most of all is the incredible waste of community funds by Governments, a lot more of which ought be directed to the operation of and research by this facility and others like it.

All the best.

Bernie
Determined1

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:42 pm

Sharkbait, sorry to hear of your health issues.  Hope you get better now.  The radiation treatment does take time (friend had it), and improves your chances against any return of the 'nasties'. I agree with your recommendation to get those spots checked out.
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Hey guys,
Many thanks for your kind comments and well wishes..It truly is appreciated Very Happy

Just been for session no.5..only 22 to go. Any minute now the superpowers will start to kick in Razz  Some x-ray vision would be handy lol!

All the best,and take care out there

Dave

Last edited by Sharkbait on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't count lol)
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jen on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Take care Sharkbait..
Wishing you a Speedy recovery.

Cheers jen.
Jen
Management

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2017-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike54 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:01 pm

All the best Dave with your treatment and a speedy recovery.   Q10

Cheers.

Mike.

PMAV, APLA & NAPFA Member.
Mike54
Management

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2017-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:54 pm

Many thanks Jen and Mike..i'll be itching (literally) to get back out there when I can Very Happy

Cheers...Dave
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top