safety in the bush

View previous topic View next topic Go down

safety in the bush

Post  joe82 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:12 am

hi all, I'm in the market for a saftey positioning beacon (ebirb) of some sort to put in my camel pak can anyone shine some light on this Shocked  witch if any do you use??? cheers joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: safety in the bush

Post  hiluxer on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:23 pm

What you want is called a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB). These are much smaller and lighter than an EPIRB, which are intended for fixed use in boats, light aircraft and vehicles. PLB's are pocketable and more recent models are smaller than even the first generation of PLB's. Any good camping/hiking goods shop should have models you can check out and eBay is OK if you use an established Australian seller (I've used Mr Boats Marine Accessories).

Have a look at the Australian Maritime Safety Authority's Beacon website, which is packed with detailed, reliable info on PLB's for Australian usage:

Australian Maritime Safety Authority - Beacons

hiluxer
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2017-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:19 pm

G'day Joe82.

I have the ACR Cobham, maybe made by ResQLink. Very small and ideal for the camelback where I store mine. Can't tell you if it works or not as I've never needed to use it.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 467
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Received misleading information when I purchased an EPIRB in 2016.
When I made enquiries at several Marine Dealers they informed me that if I wanted to purchase an EPIRB for both boating and Prospecting I would have to buy two.
WRONG!
Luckily, I contacted the Government authorities and was advised that if I purchased ONE device and then register it for both land and sea this is within the current regulations.
BEWARE!
This saved me the price of a second EPIRB.

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  4rd on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:40 pm

I purchased this one just on 5 years ago: ACR ResQLink + PLB (Floating Model) from Whitworth's Marine in Melbourne (it's $20 cheaper at snowys at the moment)

it's due for a battery replacement - probably has plenty of juice however need to be 100% sure otherwise defeats the purpose of carrying one if it will not activate when needed...   I'm glad to say that I cannot vouch for it and hope I never have to find out how good (or otherwise) it is Very Happy
4rd
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:09 pm

cheers for the info guys!!!, lets hope we never need them but as I do a bit if remote area detecting it may be a good idea to have one on hand just incase, I will have a google around and see whats out there!!!

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:33 pm

G'day joe82

We have this one, it's a bit bigger than the one 4rd has put a link to, like the rest of you all we have never used it either, but have updated the rego details everytime they ask about it.

http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/PERSONAL-LOCATING-BEACON-GPS/135504

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5419

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:14 am

cheers davsgold! has all the good stuff needed to get ya out if the poo (touch wood) thanks for sharing!!! will be near BCF tomorrow and will have a look cheers,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:27 am

Joe,
Further to my post, this is the EPIRB we purchased, have it mounted in my ute, realise it isn't suitable for personal use but is registered for land and sea.

http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/GME-Digital-EPIRB-406Mhz-GPS/361040?menuFrom=571531&isvariant=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz_TMBRD0ARIsADfk7hTRfiBFBasjHODZ-porD_J4AzrvTSkfqszIoMuTagHTso27mi4BdCAaAlZfEALw_wcB

Also for many years have stored smoke flares in the van just in case for extra safety, sure beats burning one of your tyres.

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2028

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  goldrat on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:43 am

Have followed this thread with interest . With a few medical hassles my family has suggested I purchase a PLB as I detect 70% of the time by myself . Been searching web for about a month & can't absorb any more info , I wish to purchase the following PLB . Any comments on this one .
KTI PLB . purchase at "Fishing Tackle Shop " $259.00 or "Satphone Sales" $249.00 .

Cheers
goldrat
goldrat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2014-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:47 am

Hi Joe, purchase one of the small cigarette packet sized PLB's and the floating neoprene pouch to protect it and make it float. Put it in a vacuum sealed foodbag and put it in your detecting backpack and forget about it.

All the main model are good. The biggest factor I would consider is battery life. Get one with at least a 10 year battery shelf life. It will work out much cheaper. My old PLB with a five year battery life must be replaced for next detecting season. (It cost me about one gram of gold per year to purchase for 5 years use).

And when you get one and register it make sure you log on and detail any trips/dates when you are detecting in remote areas.

PS I still can't believe how many people prospecting in remote areas do not have a PLB.

Tributer
Tributer
Management

Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  tricky 1 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Joe. I just got one from towers gas and camping. perfect for what we do.
tricky 1
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:20 am

hey tricky how are ya mate? cheers for the heads up will pop in and see shane and have a chat cheers!!!!

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  4rd on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am

Tributer wrote:Hi Joe, purchase one of the small cigarette packet sized PLB's and the floating neoprene pouch to protect it and make it float. Put it in a vacuum sealed foodbag  and put it in your detecting backpack and forget about it.

All the main model are good. The biggest factor I would consider is battery life. Get one with at least a 10 year battery shelf life. It will work out much cheaper. My old PLB with a five year battery life must be replaced for next detecting season. (It cost me about one gram of gold per year to purchase for 5 years use).

And when you get one and register it make sure you log on and detail any trips/dates when you are detecting in remote areas.

PS I still can't believe how many people prospecting in remote areas do not have a PLB.

Tributer  

Hi Tributer,  good reminder about registering trips especially when out remote.  Keen to learn which model you're looking at with 10yr life as I need to decide on whether to replace battery or repurchase entirely...

Hi Joe,  found this previous post/topic by Nero which you may be interested in also:  http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t7204-personal-beacons-plb-epirb-sat-phones-bush-safety
4rd
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:07 am

cheers for that link 4rd a good read indeed! them 2 are worth looking into for sure T06

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top