Whatever happened to that guy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Whatever happened to that guy

Post  piston broke on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:49 pm

from a university who said if you take him to your gold spot, he would find really deep nuggets no problems?

Anyone know what i'm talking about ? Embarassed cheers Pete.

ps I think Ray "one day" was keen
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1496
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Whatever happened to that guy

Post  au-fever on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:27 am

Yes I remember that from some years ago, not sure which forum it was on though?, anyway I recalled that I had the same thought about his offer then as I just did now when I read your post, that he was just fishing for people to show him some gold bearing areas and it might have been a bit of a con, don't mean to sound cynical but there are people around that would do this sort of thing as we all know, so my following comments are not just a whinge but just to make others new to the game more aware.

In the past I have encountered two people that have told me that they were new to prospecting and wanted to tag along with me to learn and go to new places, one of which was in fact unbeknown to me a very experienced person that had been around the traps well before I got into gold prospecting, it didn't take long before his story started to crack and the odd comment made me aware what his real game was, the other pretended he was a newbie but was really a parasite and just wanted to work areas that were found by others and never made any effort to do any of the leg work himself, the sort of bloke that would sit around the fire and have a beer while watching everybody else collecting the nights fire wood, he like the other one was consigned to the forever chit list Laughing

Most people I have met in this game are decent and will appreciate any help you give them, but at the other end of the spectrum there are some that will prey on the kindness and generosity of others for their own ends, unfortunately gold can be both a blessing and a curse at the same time, and the greed for gold can turn friends and even family members against each other.

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Cranky Emu on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:22 pm

au-fever wrote:Yes I remember that from some years ago, not sure which forum it was on though?, anyway I recalled that I had the same thought about his offer then as I just did now when I read your post, that he was just fishing for people to show him some gold bearing areas and it might have been a bit of a con...

au-fever

I am just a newbie, so new actually that I do not even have a detector yet! Nor have I gone out with anyone else yet 'to learn the ropes' so to speak. My take on it is this: If someone is decent enough to invite/allow you to tag-along (with or without your own detector) to their patch they have worked previously or found, then you don't go back there a week later and clean it out unless they have said 'go for your life'. I realise no one owns the ground (with the exception of leases) but you don't bite the hand that feeds you - if someone is willing to help you and do the right thing by you, you return that.
Cranky Emu
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-09-14

http://www.vk3mhz.com

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:39 pm

Welcome Cranky Emu. Your attitude is spot on. Maybe its time to invest in a detector and go exploring. Cheers Pete.
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1496
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Cranky Emu on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:57 pm

piston broke wrote:Maybe its time to invest in a detector and go exploring. Cheers Pete.

In the process of doing so and picked out which detector (with a lot of help) I will be starting with. The goal plan is to go to WA and have a fossick around there. I will start off here in VIC first though and learn the machine and so forth. I am a bit of a mapaholic, so looking at maps for hours on end is not something that bothers me Smile
Cranky Emu
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindt on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Cranky Emu wrote:

In the process of doing so and picked out which detector (with a lot of help) I will be starting with. The goal plan is to go to WA and have a fossick around there. I will start off here in VIC first though and learn the machine and so forth. I am a bit of a mapaholic, so looking at maps for hours on end is not something that bothers me Smile

Come along to the Laanecoorie Gold Bash 6-9 Oct. Lots of old and new hands in the same place. Also, if you like maps, John Tully will be there. There are a couple of WA gold tours in the auction on Saturday night as well.

Lindt
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2013-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Cranky Emu on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Would love to, but I doubt if I will have a detector by then. Need to do some serious work on the vehicle first and foremost.
Cranky Emu
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:48 pm

Cranky Emu wrote:Would love to, but I doubt if I will have a detector by then. Need to do some serious work on the vehicle first and foremost.

You don't really need a detector to go to the Laanecoorie Gold Bash 6-9 Oct, it's more of a info gathering with some extra stuff, like detecting sessions, the ones running the courses will have a spare detector to help folks like yourself to learn. It's a very good weekend and well worth the effort to attend.

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5419
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Cranky Emu on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:48 pm

Thanks Dave, if I get the vehicle up to spec by then I will stroll up and have a look, would be good.
Cranky Emu
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top