Computers!! ARGHHHH!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Computers!! ARGHHHH!!

Post  adrian ss on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:44 am

Computers! Q07 hammer the PC
Why does my computer crash when I turn the printer on while On Line?? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Computers!! ARGHHHH!!

Post  Axtyr on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:27 am

Adrian, my educated guess would be that your printer hates you.

How old is the printer and what model is it? Could be a driver conflict. The older the printer the more likely you will experience problems as drivers are not available for newer operating systems.

What operating system are you using and how long has it been installed on your PC, i.e Windows XP/7/8/10. Operating systems degrade over time and may need to be reinstalled.

Can you identify when it first began crashing? Windows updates can sometimes have a negative effect and break things.

Maybe the USB cable to the printer is damaged.

You may have inadvertently installed a program that you didn't intend to. Some updates for Java, Flash Player, etc, have undesirable programs selected by default and you need to de-select them before updating those programs.

Try googling your problem.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 467
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:35 am

Adrian.

One more thing.

Be specific about how and when it happens. i.e. You turn on the PC and it works fine, you go into the internet and it works fine, the printer is plugged in and it crashes, or the printer is unplugged and when you plug it in it crashes.

Let me know what make and model it is and I can google any problems with it. I had a very frustrating problem recently and even though I googled the problem the solution was very obscurely referenced in one post I read.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cranky Emu on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:01 pm

adrian ss wrote:Computers! Q07 hammer the PC
Why does my computer crash when I turn the printer on while On Line?? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

• Is the printer a wireless device? Connected to your computer via Wi-Fi?

• When you say 'crash' what actually happens

• Make and model of printer

• What is your computer - CPU, RAM etc and OS

• When the problem occurs do you see any error messages? If so, what are they?
Cranky Emu
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-09-14

http://www.vk3mhz.com

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:36 pm

XP 2002 Pro serv pac 3

i5-3550 CPU @ 3,30 Ghz

3.29 Ghz, 3.41 Gb RAM

With Comp on and on line and printer off all is fine. When I switch on the printer (not every time but) I get a blue screen with lots of gibberish on it that says stuff about Bios and safe mode and press F8  and that it is dumping physical memory to disc 1 and will continue until there are no discs left to dump to after which the comp works fine. It has done this a truck load of times this year. I think I will shoot it with a SOFT NOSE 45 CAL and then I will sink it in lake burley griffin  with a block of concrete tied to it along with a wp note telling future generations to keep far away from it if they wish to retain their sanity.

Last edited by adrian ss on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cranky Emu on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:47 pm

adrian ss wrote:I get a blue screen with lots of gibberish on it that says stuff about Bios and safe mode and press F8  and that it is dumping physical memory to disc

Okay that 'gibberish' is probably relevant to the issue your experiencing, if you can take a photo of it next time it happens. When you mention BIOS, does it say BIOS specifically or NetBIOS?
You also didn't mention how the printer is connected to the computer - usb, wifi etc. Have you tried uninstalling the existing drivers for the printer and then installing the latest driver from the printer manufacturers site?

Dumping physical memory - this is memory written to the hard drives cache (swap file), if there is a lot of things loading on boot, or you have a lot of programs running, if that exceeds the amount of available RAM in the system it writes some RAM off to disk. It can be called many things - Cache, swap file, paging file etc etc.

There is obviously a conflict somewhere, sounds to me, without seeing it and further info it may possibly be an IRQ conflict, or if the printer is connected via USB an issue there.

If you give the make/model of the printer and how it is connected to the computer I can do a bit of looking for you.

Another option is if you have the WinXP install disc and valid rego key, and install discs/keys for commercial (non-free) programs on your computer you could re-format and re-install. That would give you a clean slate to start with, and I am confident enough to say fix the problem your having. If you do go this route just ensure you back up to an external drive everything you wish to keep. Data files for programs, docs, photos etc.

One of the biggest causes of problems in Windows is registry errors or conflicts. While registry cleaner programs go some way in keeping things in order, they are not perfect. Typically they look for obsolete keys that are no longer used - but they can leave a lot of unused keys as well. The only real way of cleaning the registry effectively is to go through it manually - but you need to really know and understand how the registry works before even attempting this - delete the wrong key and it could halt your whole system. I don't advise anyone to do this unless they are very familiar with the win reg and how it works.
Cranky Emu
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-09-14

http://www.vk3mhz.com

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks for that info.
The thing just mumbles about Bios. Not Net Bios
I do not have any of the XP discs.
Printer is Cannon MG3560 and is USB connected

I could make the comp produce the blue screen now but I need the comp at the moment so I will wait till it does it of its own accord and then put a pic of the screen here.

Last edited by adrian ss on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Coiltek Manufacturing on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:05 pm

have you tried rebooting your computer??
Very Happy

(always some smart A*s* out there huh!)
Coiltek Manufacturing
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Yeah I am gunna fair dinkum boot ut ta blazes.
If I reboot ut any more than I have already booted ut I will haf ta get a panel beater ta fix the bloody case.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Coiltek Manufacturing on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:11 pm

sorry - i couldn't resist.

I feel your pain and frustration!
Coiltek Manufacturing
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:43 pm

G'day Adrian.

That would have been a pumping computer when it was new.

If you go down the track of re-installing Windows XP somehow, I suggest you don't reinstall over your existing hard drive, but if you know someone with an old computer with an old hard drive of about 8 gigabytes in size minimum, then use that drive to reinstall. This way you still have all your data and settings on the old drive which can be installed as a SLAVE drive and everything copied to the new install. If you don't have the skills to do this then hopefully you have a family member or friend that can help you.

If you reinstall then the main problem you will face is there will be no security patches at all available as it is now 4 operating systems old now. Given support for XP was discontinued several years ago there have been no security updates for a few years anyway.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:01 pm

Yeah it was a goodun for a while. Hell it was so fast it would get impatient and tell me ta hurry up.....Maybe that is the trouble. It got so bored with my slow typing and spellin mistakes that it has gone ta sleep. Rolling Eyes
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:57 pm

adrian ss wrote:Yeah it was a goodun for a while. Hell it was so fast it would get impatient and tell me ta hurry up.....Maybe that is the trouble. It got so bored with my slow typing and spellin mistakes that it has gone ta sleep. Rolling Eyes
I don't feel your pain, you should be smart enough by now to buy a mac...or like I once did load the mac system on your i5, worked a treat and stopped playing up. I have a little used pc laptop that has hardly ever worked without playing up. BTW, you can load your system on a mac and it works more stable.

Google is your friend if you want to load a mac system on it. Wink
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 am

Adrian you can just buy another printer(different brand) or update the driver might also work,you may of course also have a faulty printer.
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:37 pm

Yeah this printer has to go.
The best printer I have had cost 39 dollars AU 10 years ago and it had a fantastic photo editing and enhancing program that did not need the Net to enable it to work.
Why don't they make them like that anymore.V58 Q07
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:39 pm

I had a black and white laser  printer . It was working fine but after a few years  it was no longer supported on Mac. on the internet .   So, I had to buy another one , it is a Fugi  colour one , I told the other company that I would not buy any more of their products.

The colour one cost $89 at Officeworks , but I do not think you can get one at that price , these days ....

Last edited by Minermike on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info.)
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1335
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  UNCLE BOB on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:29 pm

adrian ss wrote:Yeah this printer has to go.
The best printer I have had cost 39 dollars AU 10 years ago and it had a fantastic photo editing and enhancing program that did not need the Net to enable it to work.
Why don't they make them like that anymore.V58  Q07

My nephew buys a cheap printer.
When the supplied ink runs out.
He buys another cheap printer
He says two printers a year cost him $80 which includes the ink. And he's always up to date with technology.
If you don't use the printer much then it's cheaper.
To buy ink on its own is not cheap.
UNCLE BOB
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:52 pm

I change cartridges about 7 times per year at near on 54 dollars per dual cartridge change. So yeah it would be cheaper to get a new cheap printer  inc ink each time than to keep replacing the printer ink.

Last edited by adrian ss on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jen on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:12 am

I buy a cheapie printer, buy my ink from ebay..
Dont care if it blocks the printer heads,
I get about 3 years from my printer.
Works out cheap!
I dont do a lot of printing..
works a treat for me.
I do like the cannon printers.

Cheers jen.
Jen
Management

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2017-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:35 pm

Well my old corolla (2001) is a lot more reliable than my comp and printers; It Just ticked over 400,000 kays this arvo. This thing has been near on faultless since we got it in 2004 and outside of regular maintenance items I have only had to replace a thermostat and a radiator.....Touch wood. Very Happy. and my old 67 Fairlane  still runs fine, aaaaand the original ignition key still works and will only cost a few bucks to replace if it ever does look like quitting and not 168 bucks as for the corolla key. This comp on the other hand is almost useless after just 3 years.
AAAAAND! All of the metal detectors I purchased from the 70s n 80s still work fine and have never failed and still do the job they were designed to do.
and mumble mumble mumble etc etc. Rolling Eyes
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top