Anyone had a GPX 4500 modified - does it work??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone had a GPX 4500 modified - does it work??

Post  gone bush on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:31 pm

I know there are varying opinions on the subject of modified detectors with some people thinking it's sacrilege and others reckoning it's worth a try but what I really want to know is if you have had one done did it work any better.

Was it quieter, did it get any better depth, was the detector more stable, and especially was it worth the outlay.

With the original versions of the 4500 now being about ten years old is it worthwhile getting some mods done?

What does it cost?

Comments please.

gone bush
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone had a GPX 4500 modified - does it work??

Post  joe82 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:01 am

hey mate, for sure you will get some haters on this topic, I no a lad with a modded 5000 and he loves it better gain with wicked depth also so quiet in the black soil witch around here can be undetectable in places, I'm wanting to put my 7000 against it as he states that hes pulled gold where the 7000s have been, me I'm not sure until I see it for myself but it all looks good aslong as you don't want to resell as minelab wont touch them and there trade value is not good,costing around $1500 at a guess, he tells me if you do get it modded take the time to learn it inside and out (this may take a while)I think it makes your 255channel search into your gain Shocked I don't understand it but mabie someone on here has one and could shine some light on this topic for ya mate,cheers joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 pm

joe82 wrote:
I no a lad with a modded 5000 and he loves it better gain with wicked depth cheers joe,

No disrespect Joe, but this sort of comment from the lad you know and many others cracks me up. Q41 Q25
Maybe if he got someone to check the "wicked depth" on a target with a standard 4500 before he dug it, he would have realised he wasted money, lost Minelab support, and would have discovered the standard/stock picked up the target any way. Q20

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2029
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Anyone had a GPX 4500 modified - does it work?

Post  gone bush on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:00 am

Well I take it from the limited comments that no one reckons it's worth doing.

Thanks for the responses.

Greg

gone bush
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  UNCLE BOB on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:24 am

Hi Greg.
Yes mate it's been like that for a long while.
If I remember correctly, Ismael hinted not to get any gpx detector done because they are the best they can be.
What will give you improvements are,  the new flat wound coils,  going wireless, the best headphones for your hearing and a very good booster.
These things. will make it better
UNCLE BOB
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Anyone had a GPX modified - does it work?

Post  gone bush on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:07 am

Thanks for the comment Uncle Bob, I wasn't particularly considering modding the old 4500 but was curious to know if anyone had had any success with a modified beeper.
I personally reckon that even though Minelab are a little on the exorbitant side, and occasionally a lot on the exorbitant side they do make the best detectors. They find gold and that's what they're meant to do. Over the last few years there has been a myriad of new brands coming along from all over the world, plus the old stalwarts like Garrett, Fisher and Whites but none of them ever seem to be able to give Minelab a run for their money.
Hope you're well Vas and everything is good up there. Just keep finding the odd bit and keeping healthy - that's what makes life worth living!
Cheers,
Greg

gone bush
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:57 am

Some detectors can really benefit from mods like the sd2000 and being that its only the modders that touch them these days as I am pretty sure minelab wont repair them anymore due to parts availability, so you don't have much to lose there, but I think that there are other machines that don't need it like the gpx4500, the downfall with modifying them is as previously stated, minelab wont touch them, so if you want it repaired then you have to find out who did the mods to it if you have bought it already done, people who know detectors are reluctant to buy later model modified machines as a lot of the times the seller is asking a higher price for it than a standard model trying to recover the cost of the mods when they find out it is either no better then it was originally or has become too hard or noisy to use (just an example)

There are also a couple of versions of the 4500 as well, the earlier models (first release ones) are known for being a good all round detector, with excellent sensitivity and good depth but can become ratty and are more prone to emi issues, mine is about 9 years old now and I am so used to it I wouldn't part with it as its tried and proven, the later release ones are more like the 5000 and are a bit quieter and some say more sensitive to small nuggets but not as good depth wise, but as another member stated they do benefit from being used in conjunction with a good signal booster/enhancer, headphones, and wireless set ups.

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 am

Nightjar wrote:
joe82 wrote:
I no a lad with a modded 5000 and he loves it better gain with wicked depth cheers joe,

No disrespect Joe, but this sort of comment from the lad you know and many others cracks me up. Q41  Q25
Maybe if he got someone to check the "wicked depth" on a target with a standard 4500 before he dug it, he would have realised he wasted money, lost Minelab support, and would have discovered the standard/stock picked  up the target any way.  Q20

all good mate,i don't mind they have done these tests with the standard 4500 and 5000 and neather made a sound,im happy with the standard 5000 and my 7000 so I cant see the point in modding but it does cross my mind every now and again as I also have a SD2000 witch may be worth a shot,if old mate chooses to modd good on him and I whould like to hear how he does

Last edited by joe82 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cant spell)

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top