Hi I'm Matt I'm New...Platinum Nugget questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi I'm Matt I'm New...Platinum Nugget questions

Post  Platinumqs on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Hey I just bought some Platinum Nuggets on Ebay that I'm hoping are Legit. They Look Legit to me but one Person that left bad feedback said they could be fake aluminum nuggets...also that the Assay report could be from a fake company assayfast.com ray grimmer lab. The guy selling the nuggets has 300 feedback and only 3 negative feedback, says he has been prospecting for 10 years and he has lots of nuggets on there. Just want to make sure it checks out. His Assay says the nuggets are 37% Platinum with some other platinum group metals. PD14%,RU11%,IR2%,RH6%,9%Gold,14%Silver... Does that sound about right??? I want to buy more of them but want to make sure 1st...I bought 2 nuggets and I'm going to put them in Hydrogen Peroxide to test to see if real, Good Idea??? and then maybe buy more if they check out.

here is a link there are photos

on ebay the guys username is alvandan

Please let me know what u guys think...THANKS!!!

Platinumqs
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi I'm Matt I'm New...Platinum Nugget questions

Post  Gold Miner on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:47 pm

I have no experience with platinum but perhaps a prudent test first up would be magnetism and specific gravity. Platinum up around 14 and Aluminium less than 3 should rule out the first nay-sayer straight away eh?

http://www.minerals.net/mineral/platinum.aspx
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

platinium

Post  mogy on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Hi Mat   A few years ago I had a water worn copper nugget which I suspected could have a gold content I got a local firm to  " zap " it with their hand held  x ray gun  which gave an instant display showing all metal contents listed and  down to several decimal points, it might be worth you making enquires to have  similar test  try your local metal processors , jewellers , refiners .

mogy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Take it to your nearest gold buyer and ask how much will he give you for it. That should give an idea whether it ok or junk.
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 pm

That looks like solder to me......I am no expert on Platinum, but I am on solder......looks just like the dags out of electronic gear I see come through the workshop......good luck with it.
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  UNCLE BOB on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Sleep

Last edited by UNCLE BOB on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
UNCLE BOB
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1368
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:29 am

G'day Matt. Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, the majority of us here are into gold nugget detecting & have very little, if at all knowledge on platinum nuggets, so I'm not sure if we could be of much help.
Since you're buying precious metal as an investment, all/any precious metal bought for investment purposes, should be professionally tested/assayed at a reputable precious metal assaying company. Being an investment for possible future sale, you must be certain of what you have bought & most likely be asked for positive proof of purity (via a legitimate assay certificate) upon resale. It has been known in the past, that even legitimate looking stamped Hall Marks on jewellery (regarding purity) have proven to be inaccurate. It might not happen often, but it can & does happen.
Secondly, has he given you a copy of that certified assay of his for comparison, or are going by his word on purity only?
Thirdly, if he has stated the purity of his platinum nuggets in his advertising, prior to selling them, makes him legit (regardless of what you paid for them) unless you can prove otherwise.
Personally, how can one even contemplate advertising a platinum nugget for sale, as a "platinum nugget", when the nugget contains only 37% or parts platinum to 63% of other platinum group metals, of which do not consist of being platinum?
Like others here have said, get your own legitimate assay, so that you know exactly what you've got in your possession, before investing further.
By the way, the density of platinum (21.4) compared to gold (19.3) makes platinum, slightly heavier than the same in size gold bullion or nugget.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 2466
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://golddetecting.4umer.net

Back to top Go down

Seems to be aluminum due to density

Post  Platinumqs on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:51 pm

I received the nuggets in the mail...Did some tests. Put one in hydrogen peroxide and no bubbles, supposed to bubble if platinum. I checked the Specific gravity and it comes out to 2.42...sounds like aluminum as platinum nuggets should be at least 14. Magnet doesn't attract at all. Didn't seem i need to check with x-ray gun as the results seem to be rather conclusive.

So fortunately the guy agreed to give a refund, hopefully that goes smoothly...Thanks for all your help!!! -Matt

Platinumqs
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi Matt, it's a pity there are rogues out there ready to pounce on the naive.

In this case , you have been smart enough to ask the right questions. Good luck with the refund. cheers Pete.
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1500
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Gold Miner wrote:I have no experience with platinum but perhaps a prudent test first up would be magnetism and specific gravity. Platinum up around 14 and Aluminium less than 3 should rule out the first nay-sayer straight away eh?

http://www.minerals.net/mineral/platinum.aspx
Platinumqs wrote:I received the nuggets in the mail...Did some tests. Put one in hydrogen peroxide and no bubbles, supposed to bubble if platinum. I checked the Specific gravity and it comes out to 2.42...sounds like aluminum as platinum nuggets should be at least 14. Magnet doesn't attract at all. Didn't seem i need to check with x-ray gun as the results seem to be rather conclusive.

So fortunately the guy agreed to give a refund, hopefully that goes smoothly...Thanks for all your help!!! -Matt

Mate I am glad that perhaps we helped you not lose some hard earned....
As for the seller offering a refund, I am some what perplexed?????
Why would some one knowingly offer for sale, something they prospected/found, claim its something its not, sell it to you, then get proven its not what it is, and offer your money back???
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top