School of the Air being axed in WA.

Go down

School of the Air being axed in WA.

Post  Nightjar on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:13 pm

Have added this link else where however believe it requires a page of its own.

WA government is about to axe the School of the Air Program.

School of the air had its beginning back in 1948 and migrated to most states.
You can read about it here;
http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/school-of-the-air

We urge you to sign the petition below and save our outback kids, if this is allowed in WA you can guarantee it will spread across the country.

http://www.outbackwa.org.au/saveWASchoolsoftheAir?utm_campaign=savesota_blast&utm_medium=email&utm_source=modernoutback

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2070
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Re: School of the Air being axed in WA.

Post  boobook on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:00 pm

G'day Nightjar Peter.
Chris alerted me to this yesterday.
As an aside, until 5 years ago we were actively opal mining in South West Qld. It is a remote area similar in part to the equivalents of WA where school education can be very much dependant on the services provided by School of the Air.
Parallel government thinking along these lines has been a topic in SW. Qld. for quite some time, one idea being that children from remote properties should be enrolled and sent off to boarding school.
But the concern is that the bulk of these children are of the station employees who simply cannot afford that luxury.
Similar to the attitude regarding the RFDS, government departments simply DO..NOT..CARE about the overall welfare of anyone, adult or child, who happens to live beyond the last regional town.
Yes, we certainly signed the petition.
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Yes totally agree, and also signed the petition

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5447

Back to top Go down

school of the air being axed

Post  xmas tree on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:45 pm

Petition sent xmas tree.

xmas tree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2016-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ichi-ban on Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:54 am

Meanwhile, while this goverment that say's its got no money, it's broke, it must cut costs, promised us jobs, State debt reduction etc,etc ad bloody nauseum, it did this:-

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/final-decision-without-appeal-iconic-wa-mountain-range-spared-from-mining-20171221-h08j8x.html

I received all the data from Min Res on this mine so that APLA could make a submission to the WA Cabinet which includes the Premier, the Environment Minister and the Mines Minister. Had the mine been extended, it would have provided 425 full time jobs at the mine and 84 stevedore jobs in the ports, 1 billion dollars in royalties and several million in infrastructure in Southern Cross across a 10 year period. APLA made a lengthy submission to all Cabinet Ministers and the Premier. And what do they do?

SHUT THE MINE DOWN four days before Christmas. Lousy rascals! What a Christmas present that was! But it gets worse!

Closing the SOTA isn't all of it. These "representatives" of ours made sure that a foreshore development was given 20 million dollars from THIS GOVERNMENT as a "regional area development". Mind you it was VERY REGIONAL,,,,,,it was in bloody Mandurah!! Yes, Mandurah is a regional area but remote stations, Southern Cross and Laverton aren't. But wait, there's even more! Our beloved Minister for Regional Development, the Right Honourable Alannah MadTiernan, suggests the government cannot afford a new Laverton hospital and that the local mining industry should pay for it! The local mines have their own hospitals and FIFOs aircraft for serious cases and emergencies.

All this just to give the Perth based Chardonnay plant-lovers a warm nappy feeling about a banded ironstone range that not one of 'em could even find amongst the thousands of other ranges that you & I know are still out there - but there's no bus service Rolling Eyes It's now gonna be a National Park or "A" Class Reserve - no prospecting. But ya can sit and watch the iron ranges go rusty and talk to a plant.

(Once again, I make the point, that complaining on forums won't fix anything. Hammer politicians; it easy to get the contact details from the 'net. Bush life and prospecting in WA will die if you don't make yourselves heard. It's what APLA does and you should be doing it too. Good Luck)

ichi-ban
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ichi-ban on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:19 pm

I just found the info on this and,,,,

Oh the irony! The absolute hypocrisy of this! I hope the irony is not lost on those SOTA complainants.

Here's the link to those that at leading edge of this campaign:

http://www.outbackwa.org.au/saveWASchoolsoftheAir?utm_campaign=savesota_blast&utm_medium=email&utm_source=modernoutback

And here's the link to those that FUND that organisation! These are the same people that shut the bloody mine down!! And now they are complaining about "no funds from the govt fir SOTA". Give me a break will ya! WTH do they think the money comes from?

http://www.outbackwa.org.au/

"The Pew Foundation" and all the green activists have just shot themselves in the foot! This is what we will all be facing real soon if the govts proposals on Rangelands Reform and Carbon Farming are implemented. It's your future that's in the firing line here. Have a think about the vast, enormous areas of WA that must be quarantined, locked out, to ensure that carbon farming is a profitable and viable reality. In 10 years time, if you want go detecting, Cottesloe Beach is nice at this time of year I believe.

ichi-ban
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:38 pm

Labor doing that to the bush just shows how anti bush they are.
Totally controlled by the inner city greens. Just like in Victoria.

We lived in the bush as a prospecting family and our kids went through SOTA.

Far kin r soles.....
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  nickdec on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:02 am

Doesnt the nbn skymuster cover it now?

nickdec
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 am

nickdec wrote:Doesnt the nbn skymuster cover it now?

I have no idea if it is the same or different. A quick google search shows this.

https://www.activ8me.net.au/internet/skymuster-education

"Sky Muster Education Plans

The Education Plans are available on the nbnTM Sky MusterTM satellite and offer students who study via distance education an allocated data allowance each month.

Who is eligible for the Education Plan data allowance?
State Education Department's determine the eligibility of each student. Generally students who study via distance education such as School of the Air are eligible for an Education Plan.
Students that attend bricks and mortar schools will not be eligible for an education allowance even if they live in a remote location.
"

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:53 pm

SOTA is over two way satellite now and has been since before the NBN.
It was over two wsy radio when we were on it.

Its not just how the kids benefitted from it but the tutors too. Mainly they were the mothers.
We were doing correspondence school with our boys to start with and it suited our lifestyle. Travel round and have our holidays when it suited.
Kal SOTA was looking to build numbers and we got 'pressured' to join in.
Its was the best thing that happened for our boys and us as well.
They boys took to it like ducks to water and to hear the other kids over the air was something to behold.
Ours boys never missed a day of primary school education and when they started secondary school they were streets ahead of the other kids.
We moved into town for their secondary education.

Its not just the kids this govt has kicked in the teeth, its the whole family.
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  UNCLE BOB on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:10 pm

UNCLE BOB
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1379
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:51 pm

This is a great win for our struggling remote families, they wouldn't have had a pleasant Christmas with the decision hanging over their heads.
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2070

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:19 pm

People Power, it just goes to show that it can be done. Well done to everyone.

This is the beginning of the email I received today from Suzannah (Partnership for the Outback) T06

"Today we've had fantastic news: School of the Air has been saved!

Thank you for sending a message in support of School of the Air - the McGowan Government has listened to the voice of Western Australians like you and acknowledged that their education cuts went too far.

We reckon saving School of the Air deserves a big thumbs up for people power!"

davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 pm

I think Labor has woken up to the amount of support the county has in the city.
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down