Detecting Gullies

Go down

Detecting Gullies

Post  RegolithRick on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:19 am

Just a question about whether or not anyone has found gold in the gullies. I'm always aware of the depth of ground I am detecting in and normally don't bother detecting the very bottom of hills if I think the gold is too deep to detect. Would it be fair to say that if a nugget has found its way into the gully that it would be at a level close to bedrock? Watching Jack Langes videos he seems to think so. The bottom of a gully may have 10 foot of overburden. My gut tells me that its possible that after most of the gully wash had formed a nugget could of slide down the hill and be only a couple of feet from the surface.

RegolithRick
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2017-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Detecting Gullies

Post  rockhunter62 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:21 pm

I suppose that also depends on what detector you are using too. I'm up in NQ and we look everywhere, sides tops and bottoms of hills, sides and bottoms of gullies, creeks, flat areas, you name it. Gold is where gold is. Very Happy

Cheers

Doug
rockhunter62
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2016-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:44 pm

The hard base at the bottom of a gully may be undulating or irregular in depth,the original bottom could also be half way up the sides of a hill and the nuggets may have deposited on the slopes of the bends as well.The terrain probably looked totally different at the time the gold moved from the reefs so I guess it can be in any location.
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:07 am

true that rockhunter, everywhere is worth a look, as for gullies they are a good place to start when detecting new ground as they are a natural gold trap, I managed to pull 4oz from a gully one afternoon as my mates detected the patch above the creek/gully as the gold shed down the hill into it Cool

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down