GPX Powerlead

Go down

GPX Powerlead

Post  staples61 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:24 pm

I killed the powerlead on my 4500 yesterday.
It went on the control box end (broken wire/connection)
Luckily I had a spare with me. A patch lead.
Anyway got home and ordered a new one.
$73 later thought I would have a look at the busted one and its mate I killed a few years earlier (maybe 5 yrs).
Managed to unscrew the 2 tiny screws located on the cable end,got the screw out that is on the side of
the barrel , but that was as far as I could go.
Does anyone know how to get the lead out of the barrel so it can be resoldered.
Or is it crimped?
Searched the forum and found some useful ideas on running the control box end of my new $73 cable under the cover to form a loop and lengthen its life.
Staples

staples61
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down

Re: GPX Powerlead

Post  Mechanic on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:22 pm

You need to undo the screw under the "nut" that holds the plug onto the detector, then rotate the body anti-clockwise a little bit and the body should kind of pull back, however, when they do the molding for the strain relief, the cavity inside the body fills up with the plastic material, so this makes things really difficult!

You can buy them on ebay.

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:49 am

Mechanic wrote:You need to undo the screw under the "nut" that holds the plug onto the detector, then rotate the body anti-clockwise a little bit and the body should kind of pull back, however, when they do the molding for the strain relief, the cavity inside the body fills up with the plastic material, so this makes things really difficult!

You can buy them on ebay.

Cheers Mick

The easiest way I have found to get them apart if they haven't been apart before is to put it in a vice and use a punch to seperate them, as Mick said the rubber from the mouldings makes it nearly impossible to get apart.
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:05 am

Staples 61 if you are up Maryborough way Coiltek Gold Centre do repairs on most leads. Give them a try.
wombat  Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:02 am

Hi Staples

Perfect opportunity to teach yourself how to do a minor repair, better that you are at home and can take your time to have a good look and study how it is constructed and see if you can get it working again, many faults that you have with detectors in the field are minor, issues with battery cables, plugs and connectors and so on, so its always a good thing to be able to have go at doing it yourself rather than spoiling a trip or having to head into a town to see if you can get someone to look at it, as invariably you wont have much luck.

Spares are important, I will always have at least two of everything for that reason, if something breaks then I can put the spare one on and use that and then take a look at the damaged one at my leisure, not trying to teach you to suck eggs but over the years I have been out with many people on trips that have not bothered to carry spares or have the ability to do on the spot repairs and had I not been there to lend them one of my spares or do a quick fix, it would have been trip over for them, things don't crap themselves at home its "murphy's law" what can go wrong will go wrong.

Some advice for new players is to set yourself up a small tool kit to take with you, have a look at the cables and detector and see what tools you need to adjust or tighten things, small flat and phillips screw drivers, small adjustable spanner, pointy pliers, allen keys, torx screw drivers, wire stripper, 12v soldering iron, sharp blade, solder, super glue, electrical tape and so on, lots of these tools are available in super cheap as folding multi tools so they are compact and easy to fit into a small box or bag, you might not use it all the time but you will be glad to have these bits and pieces if you are many of klms away from any town.

cheers

au-fever

au-fever
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  staples61 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks guys for the advice.
Might have a play, might check out Jaycar.
If all else fails i'll try the boys at Coiltek
Staples

staples61
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  gef50 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:01 pm

I make and repair leads ..
the coiltek ones are hmmmmmm

mine good quality cable at good price ...

you can not get GPX plugs fm jaycar
gef50
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-10-24

http://www.vkteksolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:26 pm

Staples,
This problem is handy to learn, if you break a lead out on the fields you may regret not knowing how to fix it.
Here is the female plug numbered 1 to 5, obviously the male on your lead is a mirror image.
Snip the plug off and note what coloured wire goes to which number pin. Because only 4 pins of the 5 pin plug are actually used you may find number 1 pin may have two wires soldered to it because the lead has 5 wires.
Minelab introduced the the 5 pin to prevent owners hooking up to the wrong battery when th GPX came along.

****Image by Nolan Dave

Last edited by Nightjar on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum