Desert Fox Gold Panning

Go down

Desert Fox Gold Panning

Post  davsgold on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:21 pm

I bought one of these and have it up and running, putting all the fines/crushed rock through it, steady but easy, and it gets the gold. Very Happy

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5488
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Desert Fox Gold Panning

Post  boobook on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Well Dave, you cunning old "desert fox", where is the gold?
Snuck back down through the centre porthole and into a "seamless drawstring kangaroo pouch" I suspect
C'mon Dave, show us a bit of colour.... Laughing
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:12 pm

Hey Mike, and yes even Veronica said "Show me the Gold" Laughing  this is the low grade crushings from earlier on and it's only going about 0.125g per kg of crushings, not like the good stuff a couple of months ago when I crushed 2 kg of quarts/ironstone for 4 ozs of gold.

This wheel is just a bit easier than panning, I am putting the crushed stuff into it dry and a bit of gold escapes into the catch tray and has to be panned down a bit and redone but hey what else is one to do on the weekend ay. Laughing

I will put up a picture of the end result when the time comes. Very Happy

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:03 am

Dave, It is worth your while altering angle of the wheel, (lay it back a degree or two) you shouldn't be losing any gold considering you are using Veronica's rinse aid? Very Happy
Also, maybe back off the water a wee bit.
Lastly you mention loading the fines dry, try wetting it first with the rinse aided water and you will find the mustard doesn't float away.

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2101

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:11 am

Nightjar wrote:Dave, It is worth your while altering angle of the wheel, (lay it back a degree or two) you shouldn't be losing any gold considering you are using Veronica's rinse aid? Very Happy
Also, maybe back off the water a wee bit.
Lastly you mention loading the fines dry, try wetting it first with the rinse aided water and you will find the mustard doesn't float away.    

G'day Peter

I have just tried your suggestion and it goes a lot better, with a lot less fine mustard gold in the catch tray now. Veronica doesn't mind sacrificing the rinse aid for a good cause Shocked , besides that I told here there is plenty more at the shops. Laughing

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:35 pm

End result, 4 grams of gold recovered using the Desert Fox, this was 0.1 grams per kilo of crushed ore, which equates to 100 grams per tonne, I guess if mining companys are happy with 2 or 3 grams per tonne then this was a good result, I just need a lot more crushed ore to put through.

End result is 4 grams melted into a small block, that is a very small block according to Veronica.  Smile

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:33 pm

Good news Dave.
One more hint we used to buy the el cheapo 100/120ml?? blue & white label rinse aid and mix the whole bottle with the 30 litres of recyclable water.
Bees & hornets could no longer land on the water, sinking immediately with the viscous/surface tension gone.
You're going to have to add a small 12V dryblower to your list and a shovel for V to spend a few hours digging every day when she gets bored digging SDC nuggets... Q41 Q22 Q24

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2101

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:44 pm

G'day Peter

Wow that much rinse aid, and I thought I was adding plenty, next time I will be adding heaps more then. Shocked

Yes I can see it now, how much Veronica would enjoy the shoveling instead of swinging the 2300. Laughing Laughing Laughing

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down