Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  goldquest on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:14 pm

I bought a 4500 GPX 18 months ago, I have not had much time to use it because I had a restaurant that left me little time for hobbies.
Now I sold the restaurant and have much more time, but now with the new GPX5000 up and running I don't know what to do, keep the 4500, which I am very happy with or sell it and buy the 5000.
What do you suggest me, there are many differences between the two? it is worth spending extra $ 2000?
With my 4500 every time I went out I almost always found some gold, not in large quantities, but enough to make me happy, you must consider also that I do not have much experience, that my setting is propably not the best If anyone has any suggestions to help me with the best setting, considering that most of the time I go detecting near Castlemaine, Daylesford, Chewton, Taradale, Fryerstown.
I am open to any suggestion.
Cheers
Goldquest
avatar
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  shelby23 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:39 am

Hi
You should get on a course in the golden triangle the instructers will show you alot of tips.
The gold detector shops will tell you when they are on.

Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Age : 55
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  goldquest on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:12 pm

shelby23 wrote:Hi
You should get on a course in the golden triangle the instructers will show you alot of tips.
The gold detector shops will tell you when they are on.

Regards Neale

Thank you Neale, but I would prefer some advise from operator that have my same machine preferibly from the same area where I go detecting, ovviously nobody is interested at my questions because you are the only good samaritan that answer my question.
Thank you again
Goldquest
avatar
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  shelby23 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi

Try putting in Castlemaine, Daylesford, Chewton, Taradale, Fryerstown

into the search part of this site, up top of page there will be post from the past to help you there

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Age : 55
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  goldquest on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:33 pm

shelby23 wrote:Hi

Try putting in Castlemaine, Daylesford, Chewton, Taradale, Fryerstown

into the search part of this site, up top of page there will be post from the past to help you there

Thank you I will try Very Happy
avatar
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  tricky 1 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:49 pm

gday goldquest. we had been running a 4500 along side a 5000 for a few weeks over christmas. both were running 17 x 11 nugget finder mono coils and the 5000 out performed the 4500 on most targets in enhanced timing. the 5000 can run higher gain and runs quieter for longer on the higher settings. the salt gold timing worked very well on wet ground , so well that i now own a 5000 and the 4500 is parked up until it is sold.the only problem with the 5000 is the depth of the bloody holes you have to dig. Very Happy regards. tricky 1.
avatar
tricky 1
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  goldquest on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:30 pm

tricky 1 wrote:gday goldquest. we had been running a 4500 along side a 5000 for a few weeks over christmas. both were running 17 x 11 nugget finder mono coils and the 5000 out performed the 4500 on most targets in enhanced timing. the 5000 can run higher gain and runs quieter for longer on the higher settings. the salt gold timing worked very well on wet ground , so well that i now own a 5000 and the 4500 is parked up until it is sold.the only problem with the 5000 is the depth of the bloody holes you have to dig. Very Happy regards. tricky 1.

thank you tricky 1, for the informations, I guess that I have to go for the 5000 then.
cheers Smile
goldquest
avatar
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

GPX 4500 - selling?

Post  Imadogman on Wed May 04, 2011 12:02 am

Hi Pls let me know when you put your 4500 up for sale, and what do-dads go with it. Thanks.
avatar
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Age : 59
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  goldquest on Sun May 29, 2011 8:38 pm

tricky 1 wrote:gday goldquest. we had been running a 4500 along side a 5000 for a few weeks over christmas. both were running 17 x 11 nugget finder mono coils and the 5000 out performed the 4500 on most targets in enhanced timing. the 5000 can run higher gain and runs quieter for longer on the higher settings. the salt gold timing worked very well on wet ground , so well that i now own a 5000 and the 4500 is parked up until it is sold.the only problem with the 5000 is the depth of the bloody holes you have to dig. Very Happy regards. tricky 1.

Hi tricky 1", Today I went to a Minelab training day at Talbot, I had the chance to see the GPX 5000 at work and compare it to my GPX 4500, I honestly don't know if spending $ 2000 extra is justified, as I said before, I am very pleased with the performance of my machine, in a very mineralized ground with a 12 "elliptical NFA, I found three little nuggets: 0.02 grams, 0.03 grams and 0.05 grams in the same hole to a depth between 15 to 25cm.
Perhaps the 5000 would have done better, but for now I prefer 2000 dollars in my poket. Wink
Cheers
Goldquest
avatar
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  Newhunter on Mon May 30, 2011 9:36 am

I have been going out with a mate who has the 5000 l have a 4500 same STD mono coil. 1st 3-4 times he found more than me like he found 8 bits & l found 3 that was the ratio there abouts. Said to wife he must be lucky walking over it & l'm not, This went on for another 7 or 8 trips still getting more than me. So l lashed out and got the 5000. Now l can match him and find more at times. the 5000 works for me.l dont know why they both are very close to use. The 5000 is smoother to the ear & it will find you more gold. So over time it will pay for itself. Thats my view of the 2 detectors. all the best Gary.

Newhunter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Age : 57
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  Guest on Mon May 30, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi goldquest , i run a 4500 & find this machine more than capable - it finds small gold at good depth & once you are confident with adjusting the settings you can really get that baby to hum... I see you use the 12x7 - this is an excellent coil to use on the 4500 with the right settings. Most of my detecting is around Bendigo so i use a combination of the 14x7 & 17x11 ... seems to work quite nicely for me. The 5000 does have an advantage over the 4500 but at the end of the day you still have to put the coil over the colour.. If you wanted to save the $2000 i would say stick with the 4500 - spend as much time on it as possible & learn to listen what the detector is saying ... There are a whole heap of settings on this forum that can help you out - if you are interested i can PM you the settings that i use , let me know.. hope this helps..

cheers gully hunter

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  TheGoldenChild on Mon May 30, 2011 8:35 pm

This question has been asked before several times and I am tired of hearing my 4500 is better than your 5000 or my mates 5000 finds more gold then my 4500, so let me give you the true answer on whats better, A MACHINE IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE OPERATOR. The 4500 and 5000 are both great machines for finding gold but if you don't know how to get the best out of them a guy with a SD2000 will find more gold then you.
Let me make it even more clear for everyone, if 2 prospectors go out to find gold, one with a 4500 and one with a 5000, the best operator will always come home with more gold regardless which GPX he was using.
avatar
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  goldquest on Mon May 30, 2011 8:59 pm

gully hunter wrote:Hi goldquest , i run a 4500 & find this machine more than capable - it finds small gold at good depth & once you are confident with adjusting the settings you can really get that baby to hum... I see you use the 12x7 - this is an excellent coil to use on the 4500 with the right settings. Most of my detecting is around Bendigo so i use a combination of the 14x7 & 17x11 ... seems to work quite nicely for me. The 5000 does have an advantage over the 4500 but at the end of the day you still have to put the coil over the colour.. If you wanted to save the $2000 i would say stick with the 4500 - spend as much time on it as possible & learn to listen what the detector is saying ... There are a whole heap of settings on this forum that can help you out - if you are interested i can PM you the settings that i use , let me know.. hope this helps..

cheers gully hunter

Hi gully hunter, I would be very happy if you can help me with a setting that works for you, I also use 14"NFA elliptical and 18" NFA round.
My email address is: goldquest12@hotmail.com
Cheers
Goldquest
avatar
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  goldquest on Mon May 30, 2011 9:07 pm

TheGoldenChild wrote:This question has been asked before several times and I am tired of hearing my 4500 is better than your 5000 or my mates 5000 finds more gold then my 4500, so let me give you the true answer on whats better, A MACHINE IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE OPERATOR. The 4500 and 5000 are both great machines for finding gold but if you don't know how to get the best out of them a guy with a SD2000 will find more gold then you.
Let me make it even more clear for everyone, if 2 prospectors go out to find gold, one with a 4500 and one with a 5000, the best operator will always come home with more gold regardless which GPX he was using.

My dear GoldenChild, I never said that the 4500 is better than the 5000, I only said that I am satisfied with my 4500 and I prefernot to upgrade to 5000 because I am sure that in no time there will be a 6000 that is better then the 5000.
I agree with you that the operator makes the difference, and I am a lousy operator. Embarassed
Cheers
Goldquest
avatar
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  TheGoldenChild on Mon May 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Am only making a general statement goldquest, not directed at you, I own a 4500 as well and I am extremely happy with it. Very Happy
avatar
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  goldquest on Mon May 30, 2011 9:24 pm

TheGoldenChild wrote:Am only making a general statement goldquest, not directed at you, I own a 4500 as well and I am extremely happy with it. Very Happy

Do you have any suggestion that can help me to be a better operator...., I use mostly 12" NFA elliptical and 14" NFA elliptical in high mineralized ground Smile
cheers
avatar
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  TheGoldenChild on Mon May 30, 2011 9:54 pm

[ Do you have any suggestion that can help me to be a better operator...., I use mostly 12" NFA elliptical and 14" NFA elliptical in high mineralized ground Smile
cheers[/quote]

Goldquest like any other trade the more time you spend on the field the better you get. Hopefully you can partner up with someone more experienced, you learn heaps this way.
As for high mineralized ground, ENHANCED is your friend, STABILIZER on 8, SIGNAL 19 and GAIN on 10 ( give or take 1-2 depending on how bad the ground is ), MOTION on Slow (and really swing slow), GROUND BALANCE on FIXED and balance frequently (important).
The 14" NFA should handle the hot ground a little bit better then the 12" NFA. Hope this helps.
avatar
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  goldquest on Mon May 30, 2011 10:24 pm

TheGoldenChild wrote:[ Do you have any suggestion that can help me to be a better operator...., I use mostly 12" NFA elliptical and 14" NFA elliptical in high mineralized ground Smile
cheers

Goldquest like any other trade the more time you spend on the field the better you get. Hopefully you can partner up with someone more experienced, you learn heaps this way.
As for high mineralized ground, ENHANCED is your friend, STABILIZER on 8, SIGNAL 19 and GAIN on 10 ( give or take 1-2 depending on how bad the ground is ), MOTION on Slow (and really swing slow), GROUND BALANCE on FIXED and balance frequently (important).
The 14" NFA should handle the hot ground a little bit better then the 12" NFA. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Thank you GoldenChild, Definitely will help me, thank you very much, partnering with someone more experienced is definitely a good idea, the only problem is that experienced operator are not interested in going out with a novice, and I understand way. Embarassed
I will try the setting next friday.
Cheers
Goldquest
avatar
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Gpx4500 or Gpx5000

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum