Large Nuggets at Depth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Large Nuggets at Depth

Post  bundy06 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 pm

Good evening wand wavers I have a quandary, I remember when both the 4500 and the 5000 were first put on the market the howls of anguish stating that these machines cannot find large nuggets particularly at depth and were designed towards small and microscopic pieces of gold.Since the emergence I noticed the increasing use of very small to medium coils(6''-14") would it not then show that it is the use of these coils is the reason and not the detectors is the cause. I realize that there are people using small coils because of geography, physical problems or other reasons but I think it is wrong to lambaste the machinery for the wrong cause. I would be interested on your views.
Cheers Dave scratch scratch study cheers

bundy06
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts: 40
Registration date: 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Large Nuggets at Depth

Post  Guest on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:46 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:02 pm

You blokes are giving to much away. Laughing

Oh l@@k, there go's a kangaroo.

lol!

Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 1552
Registration date: 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:12 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:30 pm

FJ, the damage is done, however if you must redeem yourself i have the perfect solution...bob down here 4 a sec \/

Tell-em the new nf 8x6 is a must have coil, and if they aint swinging one there not in the game.

Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 1552
Registration date: 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:52 pm

lol narrawa Razz

TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 830
Registration date: 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:55 pm

GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 1683
Registration date: 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:22 am

Gday

I cant speak for the 5000 but I can say that the 4500 can and will get big deep gold, although that is not as often as you will get small gold, and that is simply due to there being more small bits left behind and fewer bigger bits.

There are other reasons that people use small coils, and one of them is that some folk are not interested in digging deep holes, and scouring new ground with big coils can be pretty boring at times, at least when you are working scrapes and workings with a small coil you are getting bits and pieces which will help to keep your interest up too.

Ounce for ounce I would have to say that over the years I have found more gold with coils under 14" than with coils over 14" albeit in many more pieces, but like all things the areas that I have frequented have become depleted of these as well and are now better worked over with bigger coils to snag the odd deeper straggler.

Working open country with big coils can be both tiresome and rewarding, and a big nugget find is exciting, but so is getting a run of smaller nuggets too, I guess its about the expectation that you might also get a bigger piece, sometimes one will be there and sometimes not, one patch I found with the 8" mono produced about 100 pieces give or take a few, none over 1 gram and confined to a small area only, and nothing more found about the place with even the 14" coil, had I walked over the spot with the bigger coil I might not have even found the patch in the first place.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:06 pm

G'day Ladies & Gents.

Dave your dead right about people blaming their machines for not pushing the depths on larger slugs of gold at depth,when they're content in swinging the smaller coils all day for all the above reasons you've mentioned.Knowing that the chances of a small sub gram strike even in these times are far greater than going for that rarer multi-grammer at depth. Lets face it,no point in rigging up tackle for that elusive marlin,when the gar are on the bite hey? So if that's what people are rigged up for and content to swing all day,that's also what they can expect to get "small gold".Yes and here come the stories of what the hell is this bloke talking about,Iv found a 30 grammer at one foot with an 8 inch coil or a 40 grammer at 20 inches with an 11 inch coil.Yes big nuggets are found with smaller coils at depth but lets get one thing straight here and that is "only when ground conditions allow".Chances are far more greater in picking up a multi-ounce slug at depth under most ground conditions with a large coil,than you ever will with a smaller coil. The way i see it,if people wish to get the best of all worlds in this game,they must be prepared to chop & change to suit the ground they're in,as well as the type and size of nugget they're stalking. There is no quick fix solution of one machine,one setting,and one coil,does all,ends all.More patience is required to lob on to gold these days than it ever was required in the past.If people keep going back to the same shallow,surfaced,hammered spot,time after time,again and again,what more do they expect to find apart from rock itself.People must also understand,that nuggets don't grow back every year like spuds do.Once they're taken out of the ground,they're gone for good.

Cheers kon61.

kon61
Management

Number of posts: 3622
Registration date: 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

large nuggets at depth

Post  adwata on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:11 pm

i spent a bit of time in tarnagulla area only used 4500 and 18 sl nugget finder found some very nice pcs of gold at good depth too
probably not what some of you people have found but still very happy with that set up
ya have ya dry spells but when ya do pick one up it's a buzz
since ian closed the caravan park ive only been doing a day or so here and there with 11 mono
still happy to be finding gold of any sort but my choice would be the big coil and the vergin bush any day
but thats just me love it
adwata

adwata
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts: 48
Registration date: 2011-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  sidneymelbs on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:43 pm

gday all in re to kon61 as a newbie this is exactly what tony mills explained to me

sidneymelbs
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts: 31
Registration date: 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:05 pm

I always chose coil size in relation to soil depth to the bedrock. Just remember that the bedrock is uneven and there are deeper cracks in shallow ground to, so i ALWAYS run over my patches with a large coil even if there in shallow ground. And I always go back over them when new tech comes out and have done well most times

Back to top Go down

18" Coiltek mono or NF go dept

Post  Bhante on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi
I need an advise to buy a coil for deep. Which one will be best coil for dept 18" Coiltek Mono or NF please? I am using 17x12 NF mono ecl. It really good to me, but not much deep to get big one. I got only 9.4 grams recently. I am using GPX 5000 bought 7 months ago.

Cheer,

Bhante

Bhante
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts: 2
Registration date: 2011-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:28 pm

G'Day Bhante.Welcome to the Forum.

Both the current Coiltek 18 inch round mono or 24x12 Elliptical Goldstalkers or current 18 inch round mono or 24x12 Nugget Finders,work well on the 5000 for Depth on the larger slugs.I strongly recommend that you do not exceed these sizes until you're more than competent in the handling and understanding the capabilities of larger coils.

Cheers kon61.

kon61
Management

Number of posts: 3622
Registration date: 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  OLD SALT on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Yes Kon61, The 18 inch (Rowan Johnson Mono) that I've used for two years , is Deep-Deep-Deep.....18 Grammer at a tad over 2Ft deep...good flat Nugget..Being short in stature, I find I get a lot of feedback from my pick and sundry gear...that's why I've advertized it in the "Items for Sale" forum.

OLD SALT
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts: 119
Registration date: 2012-05-20

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum