Before & After Florin.

Go down

Before & After Florin.

Post  Ash100456 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Photo's of my last evenings find, Typical condition of the older coins I find on our front beach. Clean up is by Marine Clean to get rid of most of the buildup, Then followed by a few hours in Vinegar & salt and with rubbing between my fingers. Not my best cleaned up coin to date but still good ! ( I find this method works quite well on silver coins, Not as good on the pennies & halfpennies )
Cheers
Ashley

Last edited by Ash100456 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a word)
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

before & after Florins

Post  ttrash on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:35 pm

Ash - very impressive clean up of those old coins .
Getting closer to being out there to enjoy the thrills & experiences

Keep the posts coming Smile

Ant
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 607
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Before & After Florin.

Post  davsgold on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:31 am

Ash100456 wrote:Photo's of my last evenings find, Typical condition of the older coins I find on our front beach. Clean up is by Marine Clean to get rid of most of the buildup, Then followed by a few hours in Vinegar & salt and with rubbing between my fingers. Not my best cleaned up coin to date but still good ! ( I find this method works quite well on silver coins, Not as good on the pennies & halfpennies )
Cheers
Ashley

G'day Ashley

Thats come up looking very good, what is this "Marine Clean" is it a solution you can buy or do you make it up yourself.

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5447
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:06 am

G'day Davsgold, Marine clean ( Acid ) is readily available from boating stores ( Usually comes in 5 litre container, possibly avail in litre bottle, if not talk to the guys in their workshop for some ), Used for cleaning Aluminium boats etc, I re-use it over & over again so a small container lasts for a very long time, Use gloves when using it & dont breathe the fumes in, I always do it outside on an old sink & running water set up i have.
Pour a small amount into a small container, put in the totally encrusted coin & immediately it starts bubbling away & eating into the encrusted deposit, Use a plastic spoon to take it out of the marine clean to wash it under running water to check it's progress. Once you see no more bubbling activity happening thats as far as the marine clean will go in cleaning the encrusted coin, ( It only reacts with the encrusted salty build up ) Wash the coin off & into the vinegar/salt solution for as many hours along with the between finger rubbing it takes to finish the job.
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:19 pm

G'day Ashley

Thanks of the extra info on the marine clean product and how you use it.

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5447
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Before & After Florin

Post  G.K. on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Does this system work on modern, nickel coins e.g. the 20c piece I found yesterday?

G.K.
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:32 pm

G'day G.K. Yep should work if its encrusted like my photo's as that's what the marine clean reacts to, If its only discoloured or dirty i usually just give it a go in the vinegar & salt. I have a jar of modern coins that need cleaning and like the idea of using a tumbler & corn cobs that i read about on this forum, Am yet to get one & try it out. Let me know how you go.
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down