Register of NSW areas with Access problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Register of NSW areas with Access problems

Post  Imadogman on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:47 pm

In order to improve things we first need to know where they are not right....

To help this I propose this thread to become a register of areas that have access problems in NSW.

The sort of access issues I am talking about are:

1. Exclusion of fossicking and prospecting in State Conservation Areas or National Parks that have been established since 1970.

2. Areas with old diggings that used to be crown land but have now been leased off without any consideration to ongoing fossicking and prospecting access.

3. Fossicking areas and town commons that used to be open but have now been closed or leased off.

4. Areas with old diggings that have been put off limits by Mining Leases (especially where leases cover large areas).

5. Any fossicking/prospecting restriction in your area that seems to be unfair or unreasonable.

Please include as much detail as you can especially
• where (as accurate as possible)
• how much land involved;
• the sort of gold field that has now been restricted;
• Roughly when did it happen and something of the circumstances;
• Anything else you think is relevant;
• Indicate if you are willing to assist at a local level on the matter.

If we can identify specific areas I am hopeful that we can use the power of the forum to work individually on improving access in those areas.

Especially considering the traditional Aussie activity that is now denied in those areas.

Your future is in your hands!

Remember the diggers’ oath – sworn at Eureka.

“We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.”
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Great cause....!!!!

Post  Golddiggergirls on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:37 pm

This is a really great cause Imadogman...! Well done on putting this on the forum.

Cheers,
:-)
Golddiggergirls
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2011-09-10

http://www.wedigitdoyou.com.au

Back to top Go down

Locked out areas

Post  hemi on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi ,There are two areas that we have been locked out of in recent years.The first area is the Eldorado Diggings on the Orange-Ophir road,completly locked down to all forms of fossicking.These are mainly alluvial diggings.The second area is The fourth Crossing complex of alluvial diggings,these are in State Recreational Areas.Also completly locked out. These are now under the control of NPWS(figures).Both of these diggings are on the Orange- Ophir roads.No explanation or forewarning was given as far as i know in either case.

Cheers
hemi
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-02-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Register of NSW areas with Access problems

Post  Imadogman on Tue May 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks Hemi for that tip-off.. Anyone else that can add specific information to this one please ?
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  AUoptimist on Sun May 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi All,
Our three weeks in the Golden Triangle, has come and gone, we had a great time down there and even managed to bring home a few grams of the yellow stuff, did not run into any forum members though.
At the Hill End meeting I spoke to a senior NPWS chap and had conversation with him on the Copeland Goldfields near Gloucester and how the NPWS don't allow amateur prospecting there, I pointed out that when Forests NSW controlled the area there were no problems with access, nor were there any mine related accidents or similar issues to my knowledge.
The Gloucester area is also a tourist friendly place and looking to foster further attractions to increase the tourist volume there, I pointed out that they were literally sitting on a goldmine/s in terms of attracting prospectors to the area.
At the end of the conversation the NPWS chap took my contact details and said he would pass them on to the relevent NPWS manager so we could work through the perceived problems that the NPWS have regarding prospecting at Copeland.
Well that was over three weeks ago and thus far there has been no correspondence from the NPWS, While this does not surprise me I thought after what was presented at the HE meeting we may have sparked some genuine interest from the NPWS, it appears nothing has changed on that front.
Cheers, AUoptimist.

AUoptimist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2010-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue May 08, 2012 9:36 am

Yalwal near Nowra used to be state forest and open for fossicking but National parks took over some years back and turned the whole area where the mines are situated into heratige area and since then have done nothing to look after the historical artifacts that were located there Sad

Back to top Go down

maybe a different list

Post  LeeSMaz on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:18 am

Seems we should be listing goldfield possible areas where we can still access for fossicking.
Seems the fun police are taking over everywhere recently and well blocking all fossicking.

Should we be applying for an EL to guarantee the future of fossicking??

History, long gone, recent to present is full of proof that powers at be ignore mild mannered protest.
I highly doubt they will relent on their anti fossicking policy.

Proofs in the pudding, more areas are being restricted then ever.

LeeSMaz
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-12-21

Back to top Go down

Where exactly are you allowed..........????

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:16 pm

I am new to this hobby & starting to find it frustrating to find areas to go try around here.
When searching land titles on Minerals NSW Mineview & NSW titles ArcGIS viewer it marks all the local (Mudgee/Gulgong/Hill End etc.) rivers/creeks + what appears to be immediate bank areas as crown land. Some other areas of the rivers & creeks appear to have fairly substantial areas of crown land attached. A lot of these areas are able to be accessed via public roads etc. & would be good areas (especially near some historic alluvial gravel sites etc.) to try out. When doing a search of current minerals leases these same areas are also covered by various EL's not to mention, no doubt, various leasehold arrangements. Reading the legislation this would then suggest that permission is required to be granted from the lease holder/s before fossicking these areas?
Unfortunately in this area (Mudgee/Gulgong/Hill End) pretty much all suitable areas are subject to various EL's owned by several different companies & even cover most of the private land in the area (so anyone with private land access may still need the EL holders permission also??) . To date I have contacted several companies re: permission on waterways that have public access & recieved 1 x reply from the company around Hill End saying "company policy is that we do not allow fossicking on any of our tenements. There is a dedicated area at Tambaroora just north of Hill End where fine gold is regularly found" which is fine but still excludes vast areas that could be safely & responsibly fossicked. I have also contacted the local LHPA about fossicking on a TSR in the area - no response as yet.

The great shame is that this is an historical gold (& other gems such as diamond, sapphire etc.) area but apart from the obvious attractions, at mostly Gulgong & Hill End, the Tambaroora fossicking area is the only designated fossicking area around. Sure there are other areas you can go around Windeyer, Hargraves etc. but you are most likely unknowingly fossicking on an area under a current EL, such is the extent of coverage, & if the company comes along they have the right to ask you to leave.

I believe, in historical areas, more areas allowing fossicking at or near to the historical areas should be established free from interference from EL's etc. At the end of the day we are after a few grams at best - they are chasing thousands of ounces. I don't think we are going to impact them!! The whole thing need cleaning up - it is very complexed.

Last edited by mbasko on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

I understand your frustration.

Post  Imadogman on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:08 pm

Yes---I understand the frustration. This is one of the objectives of NAPFA. Suggest you get on board and help us out. Check the good membership deal in the napfa section. NAPFA would like the rules changed around ELs (excluding active mining operations of course.) NAPFA is working to improve access, so spread the word. cheers. steve.
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Applied today

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Yep - applied for membership & transferred the funds this afternoon.

Before trying fossicking as a hobby I was completely unaware of the red tape & lack of access to permissible fossicking areas (even in my own area being so historically connected to mineral recovery), although having fished around here realised just getting river access can be a drama in places. I was thinking I would be able to access the waterways from public roads etc. & give panning & detecting a whirl to get me out in the bush. Now the more research I do the more confusing it gets as far as getting the correct permission to fossick goes or where exactly I can go outside of the designated area near Hill End. (Could always say I've invented a new fishing method involving a gold pan & use of a mini concentrating bucket that inadvertently may collect some gold/gemstones & use the metal detector to recover hooks).
The lack of reply from a government department like the LHPA is appalling. Maybe they can't really say no but don't want to say yes. The cattle on this TSR are causing much more river bank damage than if the place was being over run by fossickers & at the end of the day it may be a wasted exercise on my part - may not even be anything there anyway but would be nice to try.
Fossicking/gold panning is widely promoted as a tourist activity for the whole area but any unsuspecting tourist dipping their pan in along most stretches of the cudgegong river (Mudgee/Gulgong) or wialdra creek (Gulgong) as well as countless other waterways around would be unknowingly encroaching on some companies EL.
On a good note at least 1 x government department sees fossicking for what it is. The National Native Title Tribunal has emailed me saying "With native title matters, fossicking is considered to be of such low impact (very little to none) that it doesn’t require permissions where there is not a determination of native title. You will have to follow any of the State Government processes though. At this stage, there are two determinations that native title exists (Githabul People - area in Northern NSW & Dunghutti People - area in Crescent Head NSW)"

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 pm

G'day mbasko & welcome to the forum

It is a bit confusing but hopefully it will get better in time with a bit of lobbying in the right places.

You may have all ready read this but here it is anyway.
http://www.resources.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/363544/A-Guide-to-Fossicking-in-New-South-Wales.PDF

And state forests can be accessed for fossicking as well.
http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visiting/activities/fossicking

State recreation areas can be another place you can fossick as well

cheers dave

davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks Dave - had checked these out.

There is a lot of state forest areas etc. about here but when researching historic mining they aren't near to the places that interest me (not saying I won't go for a look about in them though). Thats what makes it a bit frustrating - as they say in mining "she be where she be" & I'd rather be looking in places known to have had previous finds/history.

Examples of EL coverage:
Gulgong nth; Gulgong sw; Hargaves - Windeyer;Hill End nth;Hill End sth;Mudgee nth;Mudgee sth;Sofala

Looked at some "state forest" areas around & found:
Goodiman State Forest (as marked on recent maps) is now Goodiman State Conservation Area (no known mining areas enclosed)
Yarrobil State Forest (as marked on recent maps) is now Yarrobil National Park since 2005 I think (contained at least 1 x gold mining area that I can find)
Cope State Forest - no known enclosed mining areas. Not listed by NSW Forestry Corporation as offering recreational facilities. Will follow up on access further.
Pretty much everything else has been swallowed up by NPWS as nature reserves etc. including Avisford Reserve right on the edge of town (now Avisford Nature Reserve). This reserve contains tracks used by mainly Chinese gold miners to travel from the Meroo area to Mudgee. According to NPWS's own documentation there are also areas of historic diggings within this area.

Adams Lead Reserve in Gulgong (contains areas of historic digging) has been re-opened to the public last weekend but is under the control of a sub committee of the Mudgee Environmental Group. Should I contact them for fossicking access? lol!

Last edited by mbasko on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:01 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add Adams Lead Reserve info)

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:17 am

G'day mbasko

We need something in NSW like in WA, the 20a or what it's now called 40e permit, this allows you for a fee of $25 up to about 3100ha to go detecting on an EL

In my opinion it the best system in Australia.

Hopefully this is one of the ideas that NAPFA will be working on to try and get implemented in NSW.

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  freshwater on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:17 am

Should I contact them for fossicking access? lol!

Yer tell em your planting trees (native ones that is Smile).

ELs in NSW well i dont know, id been more concerned about accessing private land firstly even if the EL holder says yes you still have to get past the lands owner and believe me if they dont want the EL holder on their land think about your chances.

TSRs you dont need permission, BUT make sure you are on a TSR they are not clearly marked (as they use to be). Access parish maps for more clarity and as for public access reserves, most of these are leased read the notes on parish maps youl see who has leased them its usaully the neibouring property thats does.

Regards

John
freshwater
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

the long paddock

Post  Imadogman on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Thanks mate. I saw a good book at the recent Goanna Muster:

The Long Paddock
Author: Peter Worsley 2001

This book, from the Rural Lands Protection Board in conjunction with NSW Agriculture (now NSW Department of Primary Industries), is a directory of travelling stock routes and reserves in New South Wales. It will help you to identify local sites for livestock agistment or for refuge in an emergency, as well as stock routes that can be used for the movement of stock to the saleyards or to feed in times of drought.

This book will also be able to help you find scenic bushwalking sites, idyllic picnic spots and plenty of places where native flora and fauna can be seen. And of course provides land where you can fossick!

I gather you can buy it via the NSW Govt book store at http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/resources/bookshop/long-paddock Had a quick look but could not find it. It does exisit though.

It goes not have accurate maps though -- no GPS for example so locations are approximate.

cheers

steve
President NAPFA.
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  freshwater on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:16 am

The book im guessing (or was lead to believe) is no longer avaliable Steve.

Ill just clarife the point about no permission required, this was the case a few years ago i havent checked back (as i have had no need to) wether this is still the case.

One thing else the RLPB is i believe dispanded/merged, it now comes under the EPA (enviromental protection authroity !!) im basing this on some feedback from some friends at Maitland Bar who said that the EPA now issuses requests (or should i say Demands ) to spray blackberrys and weeds on private property. They have become very active in the last 6 months after a 10 year lul, before it was the RLPB that did this.

If this is the case and the EPA is in charge of these lands well not looking good for future access prehaps??.

As i have said these TSRs are NOT clearly marked in the Book nor on the access gates, MAKE sure your have the correct parcel of land.

That book is a fantastic one to have, not for gold but for travellers its ammazing how many areas are avaliable across this state to pull up and camp be it for a day or a week.

Regards

John
freshwater
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:52 am

Thanks for all the replies. After a bit of a mind blowing intro I am now getting my head around things & have found some allowable spots nearby.

The TSR's are managed by the LHPA (Livestock Health & Pest Authorities).

They list a number of allowable recreational activities on their website but fossicking is not one of them.
Activities allowed on TSRs:

Anyone can use a TSR, without needing a permit, for:
•Walking
•Picnics
•Swimming
•Fishing
•Bird watching
•Horse riding
•Cycling (non-motorised only).

You must obtain a permit from the appropriate managing Livestock Health and Pest Authority for:
•Grazing and/or walking stock
•Apiary sites
•Seed collection
•Accessing water
•Firewood collection
•Overnight camping
•Other recreational activities.

It is illegal to use a TSR to:
•Ride motorbikes
•Dump rubbish, or
•Shoot and/or hunt.

Still never replied to my email to clarify if fossicking is allowed.
http://www.lhpa.org.au/travelling-stock-reserves/tsr-use-of-and-permits

Back to top Go down

Re your TSRs questions

Post  Imadogman on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:53 pm

I have written a short letter from NAPFA to Livestock Health and Pest Authorites to try to get clairification which I will post. You are right, rights to fossick is less than clear.

Regards

Stephen
President
NAPFA.
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat May 18, 2013 11:23 am

Update on TSR's for those interested:

Met with a local LHPA ranger during the week to go over some access to local TSR's for fossicking.

In short they do require you to get a permit from them outlining the TSR or TSR's you wish to access & fossick on. Getting a permit/permission from LHPA is also a requirement of the NSW Fossicking Guidelines. They wouldn't issue a blanket permit for neither the local area or the state but maybe with some conditions, like notifying local area rangers before fossicking on a TSR, attached this may be something we could lobby for?

The permit I got covers 2 x local TSR's & was given free of charge. The local ranger had no problem with issuing it or letting people fossick on TSR's & even said if it was up to them they wouldn't require the permits but in fairness to other users & leaseholders it wasn't a bad idea as they can then notify other people of what your intentions are - especially leaseholders who may have livestock on the TSR as they may wonder what you are doing.

All up a fairly easy process that covers your butt if you have a TSR or two in mind.

Back to top Go down

Post  Show Me The Gold on Thu May 30, 2013 4:21 pm

with an election looming could be a great time to put petitions to local mps especially those worries about their seats
Show Me The Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Cells State Conservation Area

Post  Oldfella on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:23 pm

My 3rd edition Ralfes Peak topographic map shows this area as Doyles River State forest. Only by chasing up fossicking areas from state forestry did I discover that the change had come about over the last couple of years. the Cells creek area within the forest has several Mines and is good for gold panning (course Gold).

Cheers.

Oldfella

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-06-06

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top